Inside Richard’s 10×10 March 17, 2011  by      

From CFK Communications Fellow, Andrew Johnson:

Richard Onyango Ouloch, a carpenter from Soweto West in Kibera was the man who was kind enough to let me into his home for an afternoon of capturing his life.  We walked down the alleyway leading to his home. He unlocked the door and moved the curtain covering the doorway leading me into his home.  He sat down and started polishing his shoes while I took in everything around me.  I look in one corner to find a litter of kittens sleeping. Behind Richard there’s a curtain separating the modest room into two. A sleeping area and a living area.  A sofa, a stool, two tables and a chair make up the furniture with a bed on the other side of the partition.  It’s cramped.  It’s hot.  Richard, a stranger to me whom I’ve only just met starts to take off his shirt.  I guess privacy is not a luxury the people of Kibera are used to or even need.  I shoot for maybe 30 minutes. We exchange few words but there’s no tension. He seems pretty comfortable for having a strange hairy mzungu (foreigner) snapping away in his home. That’s the way it is with most people from Kibera–willing to give, even if nothing is offered in return. Sitting with an elderly Kiberan at a soccer game just a few weeks ago we talked about this way of thinking.  Here he was, trying to teach me all these different swahili words when he didn’t even own a pair of shoes.  As he got up to leave he said, “everyone has something to give, don’t ever forget that.”

Click and drag the photo below to explore the inside of Richard’s home:

Share

One response to “Inside Richard’s 10×10”

1. Erick Osoro says:

Thanks for the goodwork your are doing at Kibera slums to improve the living standard of our dear brothers and sisters held up in this quagmire of poverty,ladies and gentlemen allow me to post some opinions as food for thought for the entire staff involved in the project:I appreciate the carpenters courtesy to allow you int his privacy to capture the state of his house & the living condition but some foreigners have abused the opportunity to use the pictures to raise funds overseas at the expense of the vulnerable people who need their help 2.can you look at the source of the problem because majority of these people have their paternal homes and try and improve the rural settings to be economically friendly and habitable to avoid rural-urban migration so as to help the government minimize the growth rate of informal settlements in the city.