John’s Admission to College June 27, 2013  by      

Text by: Nick Johnson, CFK Staff Associate
Photos by: Caitlin Kleiboer, CFK 2013 Peacock Fellow

John_Working_2_Caitlin_Kleiboer [web res]It’s been almost a year since we first introduced the recipients of CFK’s new Alan Cross Memorial Scholarship.  Named in honor of our late friend and board member, Dr. Alan Cross, the scholarship was designed to provide financial aid for diligent students who are interested in pursuing careers in healthcare.  Last February, we heard from Laurine Oloo Otawa about her first semester in college and all of the challenges she faced and overcame.  Now, we hear from John.

Antony John Mwaura has not let his family’s economic struggle get in the way of his passion for learning.  Though he had to switch schools a lot because his family could not regularly pay his school fees, education never stopped being his priority.  John would often take casual part-time jobs to help supplement his family’s income and pay the fees.  Always persistent, he completed secondary school with remarkable grades—high enough that he could attend university.  The only thing stopping him was the cost of enrollment.

On top of his desire to get an education, John is an active participant in CFK’s Sports Association, where he now helps lead life skills trainings for younger players.  His continued dedication to multiple educational programs was a strong motivating factor in his selection as a scholarship recipient.  (You can read more about John and our other scholarship awardee, Laurine, here.)

Now, with your help, John has finally achieved what he has always dreamed of: going to college!  He recently got accepted to the P.C.E.A. Tumutumu School of Nursing, where he will study to be a nurse.   Here, John reflects on the process of applying for colleges:

JohnHeadshot_Caitlin_Kleiboer [web res]“It has taken me long to get admission. The first reason why it took long to be admitted was because I was comparing the school fees of different colleges. Some institutions cost more than others. The second reason was that I had applied to some institutions, but they never admitted me because capacity had been over-stretched. In addition, I was also looking at the surroundings of the institutions, e.g. if they had their own hospital, enough teachers, enough classes, etc. I was also comparing their performance and looking at how old each school was.

“I have changed the course which I wanted to pursue. I had told the Education Officer that I wanted to pursue a career in Clinical Medicine, but I changed to Nursing. The reason why I changed was that I came to realize that Clinical Officers were only recognized in East Africa and not in other countries in the world. I did this during consultations with the Education Officer, who advised me accordingly. Also, I was told by a lecturer at the University of Nairobi that nurses have high demand in many nations. Since I aspire to be a surgeon in the future, I was told that nursing could be the best route since I will specialize in surgical or medical nursing.”

Though his course of study has changed, it is clear that John is just as excited and passionate as before to continue his education.  In addition to enrolling in college, he continues to participate in the Sports Association as a mentor for younger players.  The leadership and enthusiasm he displays on and off the field—and inside and outside the classroom—will undoubtedly lead to his educational success.  We’re cheering him on as he takes this next step forward!

Share

One response to “John’s Admission to College”

1. Karen Rodgers says:

I was so pleased to read this. I am an advanced practice nurse and Dr. Cross advised me as I completed research projects during grad school. I wish John much success! Karen