Meet Francis Kibet, New CFK Board Member July 7, 2014  by      

fnkibet2It probably comes as no surprise that Carolina for Kibera has lots of plans from now through the rest of 2014.  To help guide us through, we welcomed two new members to CFK’s Board of Directors earlier this year for their mentorship, partnership, and expert advice.  One such member is Francis Kibet.

Francis was born in Kenya, specifically in the city of Eldoret in Western Kenya province.  He is well-acquainted with Nairobi, having completed a Bachelor’s Degree in Commerce at the University of Nairobi.  Ten years ago, he moved to Albuquerque, New Mexico, with his family—now, he, his wife, and their two 4-year-old twin daughters are based in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Francis joined the CFK Board of Directors with the hope and expectation to be able to give back to communities in his home country.  He’s most excited about what’s in store for the Daughters United Program (Binti Pamoja in Swahili), saying, “As a father, a son, and a brother—and having grown up mostly in Kenya—I am well acquainted with the challenges facing the girl child.  The least I can do now is to join those who share the same burden and use a little portion of my time, resources, and experience to give hope and faith to those who need it most.”

Carolina for Kibera will greatly benefit from Francis’ many years of experience in both for-profit and non-profit consulting.  He is a Certified Public Accountant of Kenya (CPA(K)), Certified Information System Security Professional (CISSP) and Certified Internal Auditor.  A brief list of his past work experience includes auditor positions at Commercial Bank of Africa, PriceWaterHouseCoopers, Delhaize Group, and Sun Healthcare Group.  He’s consulted for several non-profits including AMREF Health Africa, Kenya Scouts Association, and the Kenya Hospital Association.  He now works at Duke Energy as the Lead IT Audit Consultant.  Not only will his technical expertise be invaluable, but he also holds a unique geographical perspective that greatly benefits CFK as well.  Having worked as a financial consultant in both the U.S. and Kenya for many years, Francis knows how each system works and will be able to advise CFK in navigating the differences between them.

Francis in Action_final

Francis with a colleague at a recent community service event.

How Francis became interested in finance requires a bit of explanation.  “I got into it by mistake,” he says, laughing.  “Originally, I was interested in Information Technology”. In college, he reluctantly enrolled in a required course on basic accounting.  However, from the very first day of class, his professor, Essajee, made the topic exciting and intuitive for Francis.  He explains, “Somehow, it really made sense.  I took the exam, got a good grade, and thought that maybe I should try it out.”  He went on to complete his degree in commerce; once in the U.S., he completed a Masters of Business Administration from Eastern New Mexico University.  Inspired by Essajee’s mentorship, Francis later served as an adjunct professor of finance at College of the Southwest in New Mexico.

We’re thrilled that Francis has decided to join us.  His expertise in the finance field and his background as a Kenyan will prove invaluable to CFK’s financial health and programmatic initiatives.  We look forward to working with him for many years!

Share

One response to “Meet Francis Kibet, New CFK Board Member”

1. Charles says:

Dear Mr Francis Kibet and the CFK Team. I am an advanced degree student in project management and polishing my research proposal for a study in Kibera sometimes this year.

My enquiry is about how I would join one of your projects as a student volunteer. I need more practical experience as I continue with research. Currently, I am in Nairobi. Kindly inform me.

Thanking you most sincerely.