Home Visits with Esther November 27, 2016  by      

By: Micaela Arneson, CFK Peacock Fellow

Millicent and Mary, photographed during their home visit.

Recently I had the opportunity to tag along on a couple of “home visits” with Esther, one of the nutritionists at Carolina for Kibera’s Lishe Bora Mtaani Nutrition Center. Our destination was Gatwekera, a village in Kibera located south of the CFK office.

CFK staff members and Community Health Workers (CHWs) conduct regular home visits for several health-related reasons.  CHWs go door-to-door to administer health surveys, acquiring basic health information from families all over Kibera.  They also screen children for malnutrition; if the child is malnourished, they send them to CFK’s Nutrition Center.  The purpose of our visits was a little different.  We were checking up on some of the children who had completed the Nutrition Center’s 8-week program and been successfully brought back to full health earlier this year.

Esther is a resident of Gatwekera and led me through the maze of houses and narrow, winding streets— it’s been raining recently in Kibera, and although the dirt alleyways have been turned to thick, slippery corridors of mud, Esther made her way quickly and nimbly in her flats while I struggled to keep my balance in a pair of oversized gum boots.

Our first stop was at the home of Millicent and her 2-year-old daughter Mary, who was released from the nutrition center in January. As we stepped inside their home, Mary instantly hid herself behind the curtain separating the family’s bed from the main living area— she was happy to see Esther (her second mom/auntie), but wasn’t too sure about me. We sat down with Millicent and Esther asked her about Mary’s progress and status since leaving the center. She’s maintained a healthy weight, has good energy, and is meeting important developmental milestones such as walking and talking. Her mom told us that Mary is also a great eater: her favorite foods are rice and beans, spaghetti, and cabbage. Millicent also recently referred a neighbor to the nutrition center.

The home visits with Mary and other former patients of the nutrition center are a critical element of its holistic approach to treating malnutrition. Parents are equipped with the knowledge and skills to keep their children strong and healthy, and follow-ups serve to identify any challenges and provide support and assistance where needed. It was exciting and encouraging to meet the plump, happy, and healthy babies and their equally happy parents—it takes a village to raise a child, and nowhere does that ring truer than here in Kibera.

Share

One response to “Home Visits with Esther”

1. Hi, my name is Elkanah Ondieki, a Psychological Counselling Studies student at Bridgeworld College, Karen, Nairobi, Kenya. I have been reading about what you do and I even had the opportunity to visit Carolina For Kibera, Kibera, Nairobi, Kenya and what you are doing is really good and impressing.
    I talked about this in college and I am writing this to say that Bridgeworld College is willing to be associated with you and that we are looking forward to join hands together and work with you by involving our counselling Studies,Social Work and Community Development Studies students in the activities programs that you have. I am looking forward to hear from you.Thank you in advance and God bless you.
    For more information, send me an email on elkanahwilson@gmail.com. Visit also our website at http://www.bridgeworldcollege.org.